Tuesday 24 December 2013

Dear Santa, Love Grownup Emma


Dear Santa:
A whole year since I’ve written, and I hardly feel like the same girl. I don’t know where I stand with regards to naughty vs. nice, but I hope you’re willing to make a few oversights. I’ve tried to be nice, Santa, but growing up is hard. And I truly believe karma has already punished me for most of the naughty things I’ve done.
On the off chance that I am on the nice list, I have a few requests. The childish part of me wants to ask for lovely material things. But as I learned on my birthday (when my only gift was a microwave oven), holidays just aren’t as frivolous when you’re an adult.
Santa, my first wish is for my parents to accept that I need my independence. I know they miss me, and the feeling is mutual sometimes, but there are only so many times I can tell them “No, I’m not moving back in with you,” without getting annoyed. I love my parents; they’re two of my closest friends, honestly, but we only have that relationship because of the space that’s come with me moving out. If I lived with them, the arguments would start back up, and no one would be happy. Please, just let them understand this.
For my second request, I’ll give you options: good health, or health insurance. Santa, I know I’m terribly blessed to have a steady source of income from a job I enjoy. But the fact that it doesn’t provide me with health insurance, and independent coverage is so expensive, really blows. Right now I’m good; I can handle the cost of my birth control prescription. But please, please, don’t bring any new medical needs to me this year.
I’d like to pretend this one’s a selfless Christmas wish, but in the long run it benefits me as well. But I’d like to ask for a few presents on behalf of the family that lives above me. Books, puzzles, a model train set; any kind of quiet activities. They’re lovely people, but good lord, are they noisy. Please can you find them a hobby that doesn’t involve crashing around furniture and teaching their pet elephants to dance?
Finally, I’d like a gift set of sorts. Patience, empathy, love, and trust; I could do well to restock my supplies of each. I try to be a good person, but some days I feel my stores of patience running low. Give me this little boost, and I’ll do my best to make it last the whole year, and beyond. It’s the gift that keeps on going.
So, Santa, if you haven’t written me off as naughty, and torn my letter into shreds, this is my Grownup Christmas List.  I know it’s asking a lot, but I’ll take whatever you can give me. I’ll work harder on being nice next year.
Thanks; safe travels!
-emma

No comments:

Post a Comment